________________________________

From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cooper,
Jessie
Sent: 05 October 2009 17:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: organ donation and ethnicity study

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to publicise my research study and also to ask advice about
publicising my study to the South Asian and Afro-Caribbean Communities
in the North-West of England.

I'm a PhD research student in the division of Public Health at Liverpool
University doing a qualitative ethnographic study (in-depth interviews
and observation)  into deceased organ donation amongst Minority Ethnic
communities (specifically South Asian/Asian British and
Afro-Caribbean/Black British) in the North-West (possibly also spreading
into Yorkshire) of England.

The study has been set up because there has been much written in policy
and research about the 'problem' of the high need for organs for
transplant from South Asian and Afro-Caribbean communities in the UK,
and the corresponding low donation levels from these communities.
However, the issue has been conceptualised in a really narrow way, often
by just assessing community attitudes towards organ donation; the
implication being that people don't donate simply because of their
'culture'. In this way, culture is misunderstood as a rigid set or rules
which people follow, and ethnicity is placed as an inherent barrier to
organ donation and healthcare participation. In other words, the process
of decision-making in organ donation situations is de-contextualised and
the communities are essentially being blamed for the organ shortage.

What my study will  do is take a more contextual approach and look at
the experiences of South Asian and Afro-Caribbean families who have been
asked to donate their relative's organs after their death,  as well as
the health professionals who were involved in these cases. This will be
done through retrospective interviewing and observation, in order to
understand what goes on between families and health professionals when
the request for an organ is made, and how the decision to donate or not
is made.

The plan is to recruit donor and non-donor families (those who did not
consent to donation) from the South Asian and Afro-Caribbean
communities, and from these, also recruit the health professionals who
were involved with each family. I will be recruiting donor families with
the help of transplant coordinators and  non-donor families (and
additional donor families) by going into the community , e.g. promoting
the research in community centres, local newsletters etc. It is the
latter which I would like some advice on, and any suggestions as to what
organisations might be useful to promote the research through would be
gratefully received. So far I have been contacting community centres to
post adverts about the research, as well as set up to talk about the
study at a few meetings, I've also got a small article which has gone
in/will be going in some BME development organisations newsletters. I'm
also visiting temples and plan to try and get on some local radio shows
as well. As the study is so specific and the numbers of families who
have had this experience so small, it is going to be very difficult to
recruit participants. Any advice on alternative ways of promoting the
study/reaching the communities/names of organisations which might be
useful to contact would be greatly received! I have attached a flyer
which advertises the study and calls for volunteers to participate (I
also have this in other languages).

I look forward to hearing from you,

Many thanks

Jessie Cooper

Jessie Cooper

PhD Student - The University of Liverpool,

Room 1.07, The Muspratt Building,

Division of Public Health,

School of Population, Community and Behavioural Sciences,

Brownlow Hill, Liverpool, L69 3GB.

Tel: 0151 794 5272