Iıd recommend the British MA programs, especially those at UCL (University
College, London) and York.  Cambridge and Oxford have the reputation, but
less of the practical skills that it sounds like your student needs.  The
advantage of the British MAs are that they finish in a year and so, even
with the exorbitant costs of living in London, it is usually significantly
cheaper than the 2 year programs available in the states.  This is relates
primarily to the 1 year time span and the fact that tuition in England is
significantly cheaper than in the US (though as an American, heıll pay
significantly more than the British).  As a warning, though, it is very hard
to get a loan for a degree abroad when the course of study is only a year.
Unless things have changed, you canıt work with the student visa in England,
but I could be mistaken.

I particularly recommend the UCL program.  It provides the student with the
opportunity of taking courses at pretty much any of the London universities,
with them counting towards the degree.  Moreover, the faculty are usually
amenable to the student taking more than the full course load of 3 classes
(they are over ~8 months, with the remaining c.4 months devoted to the
thesis).  As for track records, I personally know of 3 students who went
through the UCL MA program in the last 7 years and who have subsequently
gotten into Ivy-league PhD programs for Medieval History; I donıt know
anyone who did the program and, wanting to go to such a PhD program, did not
get admitted.

As for application deadlines and admittance dates, the deadlines are much
later ­ in the spring, after your student would have heard about any
applications to PhD programs.  The turn over is pretty fast, with
notification usually around late May or early June, but for more specifics
Iıd recommend writing to the MA directors either at York or UCL.

Michelle

Michelle Garceau
Assistant Professor
History Department