medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture John -- another possibility is that your student could work for a year in a place like London or Paris, supporting himself by, e.g., teaching English as a second language. With a flexible work schedule, he could attend the endless and high-quality medieval seminars on offer in the various universities and institutes there. This would be a way to survive and even make some money while getting a great education.

I'd hope that when the day comes for him to apply to a major doctoral program, he will be accepted.

George

(TAN: In the unlikely and unfortunate case of his application being turned down, let us urge him to be gracious and tenacious. Unlike the gentleman at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w3YJjdXZBM .)

--
George FERZOCO