Not altogether unusual.  See these examples from "saints of the day" for this past 9. October:

Illumination of D. (1348) in a manuscript of Jean de Vignay's French-language translation of the _Legenda aurea_ (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 241, fol. 275v):
http://tinyurl.com/ykxkqol

D.'s _gesta_, martyrdom, and cephalophory in the late fifteenth- or early sixteenth-century wall paintings (restored, early twentieth century) in the Kirche St. Dionys-Wurmsbach in Rapperswil-Jona (canton Sankt Gallen):
http://tinyurl.com/ykffc89

Also from that posting, this example (from an expensively produced book, lavish in its use of gold) that shows a halo in both places:
D. in a full-page illumination of French or English workmanship (ca. 1430-1440) in a Book of Hours (Los Angeles, J. Paul Getty Museum, ms. 5, fol. 35v):
http://tinyurl.com/yhcuuh5
Detail:
http://tinyurl.com/ylooxrf

Best,
John Dillon

On Saturday, October 10, 2009, at 10:34 am, Meg Cormack wrote:

> Interesting that the halo is where his head WAS rather than around the
> head!
> Meg

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]