medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture It sounds like Luke 22:46 (obviously in plural)
vadim prozorov

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:14:55 +0200
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] lopichis and dream
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear learned members,

In describing a story of a young Lombard Lopichis, who escaped from somewhere in Pannonia and wanted to reach his native town Forum Iulii (Cividale, in Italia), I don't find any analogy for the short sentences "Surge! Quid dormis." in a short dream. The event is dated after AD 610 and before 640. I believe the story and the words are not Christian.

Can anyone help me, may be off list? Matej Župančič

P. Diaconus, Historia Langobardorum, IV. 37:  (.) Sed lupus idem ictum ferientis praecavens, sic ab eius visione elapsus est. Ipse autem, recedente eodem lupo, nesciens quo pergeret, insuper famis penuria nimium debilis effectus, cum iam de vita desperaret, sese in terram proiciens, obdormivit; viditque quendam virum in somnis talia sibi verba dicentem: "Surge! Quid dormis? Arripe viam in hanc partem contra quam pedes tenes; illac etenim est Italia, ad quam tendis". Qui statim surgens, in illam partem quam in somnis audierat pergere coepit; nec mora, ad habitaculum hominum pervenit. Erat enim Sclavorum habitatio in illis locis. ...

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now. ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html