Dear Dr. Morris,

Please find enclosed a paper proposal for the forthcoming conference
"Perspectives on Evil and Human Wickedness". Should you have any
difficulties in opening the attachment, kindly let me know.

With kind regards,

Sini Kangas

____________________
Sini Kangas, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O.Box 4
Fabianinkatu 24
00014 University of Helsinki
Finland
+358-9-191 23489

Lainaus "Stephen Morris" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Dear All:
>
> This is a FANTASTIC inter-disciplinary conference, going into its
> 11th year. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
>
> Stephen
>
> ***********
>
> 11th Global Conference
> Perspectives on Evil and Human Wickedness
>
> Monday 15th March - Thursday 18th March 2010
> Salzburg, Austria
>
> Call for Papers
> This inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary conference seeks to
> examine and explore issues surrounding evil and human wickedness.
> Papers, presentations, reports and workshops are invited on issues
> on or broadly related to any of the following themes:
>
> 1. Wrestling with ‘Evil’
> - does the language of ‘evil’ make sense in the 21st Century?
> - what is ‘evil’? What is the concept of ‘evil’?
> - when we use the term ‘evil’ what do we seek to convey?
> - understanding the language of evil
> - ‘evil’ and other possibilities: morally objectionable; morally
> wrong; bad; immoral; iniquitous; reprobate; sinful; wrong; depraved;
> diabolical; heinous; malevolent; wicked
>
> 2. The Nature of Evil
> - the contexts of evil; the ‘meaning’ of evil as context dependent
> - the roots of evil
> - what counts as evil? Evil, Evils. Is there such a thing?
> - the boundaries of evil; the forms of evil; types of evil;
> instances of evil. Universal evil?
> - the practices of evil
> - taking evil seriously; enjoying evil; satisfying evil
>
> 3. Explanatory Frameworks
> - what are we looking for? The possibility of explanations
> - what is an explanation?
> - what does or should an explanation seek to achieve?
> - is evil capable of explanation?
> - explanation as evil
>
> 4. Understanding Evil
> - from the perspectives of the disciplines
> indicative examples: anthropology, art, art history, criminology,
> cultural studies, history, legal studies, literature, philosophy,
> psychology, sociology, and theology
>
> - from the perspectives of professions
> indicative examples: accountants, architects, diplomats, doctors,
> engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, planners, teachers, vets; people
> working in economics, forensics, medicine, nursing, politics, prison
> services, psychiatry
>
> - from the perspectives of vocations
> indicative examples: people working in altruistic vocations,
> professional vocations, voluntary vocations, religious vocations,
> humanitarian campaigning and activities
>
> - from the perspectives of ngos
> indicative examples: United Nations, international ngo’s, business
> oriented ngo’s, governmental ngo’s, quango’s, civil society ngo’s;
> people working with interest groups, lobbying activities; charity
> organisations; relief organisations; occupational organisations;
> not-for-profit networks
>
> 5. Representations of Evil
> - art, art history, visual culture
> - cinema, tv, theatre, radio
> [...]