From: Dr. Jeffrey R. Woolf <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:11:13 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [M-R] Prayers for Rain In Islam and Christianity

(Please x-cuse the x-posting)

I'm interested in knowing whether there is a tradition or formal liturgy for fasts and/or special prayers in the event of drought in Medieval Islam and Christianity (as there is in Judaism).

Also, does rain have any unique symbolism attached to it in these traditions?

Thanks for your help,
Jeffrey Woolf

Dr.  Jeffrey R. Woolf
Senior Lecturer, Talmud Department
Director, Center for the Study of Post-Talmudic Halakhah
Director, The Rashi Project
Bar-Ilan University
Ramat Gan 52-900 Israel
O. 972-3-531-8593