I can't for the life of me see that the issue of whether Wickham is sympathetic to Christianity is relevant to the suitability of his book for undergraduates, since on your admission he is fair and fulsome in his treatment.  If only books sympathetic to Christianity were used we might have a very short reading list!!

Gordon Plumb (Revd - who is sometimes sympathetic to Christianity!)