I seem to recall some similar material in Richard Marks, Image and
Devotion in Late Medieval England, specifically regarding candles to be
burned before images in, mostly parish, churches.  I suspect that this
may have been a "problem" similar to monasteries bunching up votive
masses rather than performing them all individually - convenience over
scrupulousness.
Jim

John Dillon wrote:

> Interesting.  Thompson's examples (as one may have read by now: twelve pages is not a lot) are from Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, and Umbria.  Without -- to judge from Andrew's summary -- duplicating any of Vauchez's instances (and lacking V.'s interest in uncanonized saints), they yield the same general picture.  Are there no similar contributions based on French material?
>
> Best again,
> John Dillon
>
> On Monday, October 19, 2009, at 9:09 pm, Andrew Larsen wrote:
>

>> Cecelia,
>> 	The article in question is "Patronage of Saints and Civic Religion in
>> the Italy of the Communes" in The Laity in the Middle Ages (Notre
>> Dame, 1993) (I think it might be a reprinted article, but I'm not sure).
>> 	At Orvieto, in 1350, the city sent a 50 lb candle to the cathedral
>> for the Virgin and a second smaller one (weight unspecified in the
>> article) to the cathedral for a local saint.  The Dominican house
>> received 2 20 lb candles, one for Dominic and one for a local saint.
>> The Franciscans received a similar pair of candles, and the
>> Augustinians 1 candle.  Statutes required that the candles remain in
>> place for 1 full year, when they would be replaced.
>> 	In 1314, Orvieto issued a statute specifying that its candles "should
>> serve exclusively to illuminate the body of Christ and should remain
>> lit until the end of the Elevation."  If a candle was not kept for a
>> whole year, it was not to be replaced.  A notary was required to visit
>> the church every three months to ensure the candle was in the proper location.
>> 	In 1315, Poggibonsi declared a candle-lit procession for a local
>> saint.  Beginning in 1321, the town annually calculated the number of
>> candles to be used, which varied between 200 and 500.  They were
>> donated to the local Franciscan house. An equal number of merchants
>> were required to donate candles and participate in the procession.
>> The number of candles dropped from 500 in 1348 to 350 in 1350.
>> 	Also in Poggibonsi, on the feast of a local saint, the guilds
>> conducted a torch-lit procession to the saint's church and then
>> donated the torches, on penalty of a fine.  The next day, the town
>> presented wax to the same church.
>> 	In 1451, Amandola decreed an annual donation of a 50-solidi candle.
>> After 1471, the value of the candle went up to 10 pounds.
>> 	In 1391, Spoleto decreed a donation of 30 lbs of wax every year to
>> the Dominican church, although in 1397 this was reduced to several (4,
>> I think)candles of 3 lbs each.  Two more candles of equal weight were
>> given to another church.  The remaining 12 lbs of wax  was given to
>> clergy who participated.
>> 	Most of the saints involved were uncanonized saints, so the towns in
>> question were giving civic approval to these saints and thereby
>> skirting church control of canonization.
>> 	So to answer your questions, it seems that the candles were expected
> [...]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]