Again, thanks. Some of that I knew, but much is new and interesting.
One point though. While pre-modern people certainly slept on a
different cycle than we do, they can't simply have gone to bed as soon
as it got dark and gotten up when it was light, for the simple reason
that humans only need about 8 hours of sleep and for most of the year
there is more than 8 hours of darkness.

Andrew E. Larsen

I don't know how far north you live, but when nights are long you sleep
longer.  Long hours of summer daylight are far too precious to waste asleep,
and I find I genuinely don't need as much as 8 hours in the summer, though
in winter I can easily sleep round the clock.

Anne

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]