On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:08:59 -0500, Andrew Larsen wrote:

>This raises an interesting question, and one I know nothing about.  If
>torches mounted on walls are ahistorical, what did they do instead?
>Candles?  Just carry their own light?

I seem to recall seeing mss depicting a range of things from candles of various sorts to oil lamps, also of various sorts.  I also seem to recall seeing some
candles/lamps which had a polished "backshield" which not only reflected light in a specific direction (making them a sort of flashlight, hence the Britishism
"torch") but it also shielded the carrier's eyes from the candle light.  If you've ever carried a bare candle around the house after the power went off, you know
its almost impossible to see past the flame. . .

Also, if I remember correctly regarding the majority, retiring at sundown and rising at sunrise was more common then than now. . .

George the Less (wondering what the more knowledgable will say)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]