Thanks, Henk.  As an explanation of what a later twelfth- or thirteenth-century audience might imagine to have happened, that makes a good deal of sense.  Like you (I think), I was led by the mention of the _shoes_ (not in any text that I have seen of the St. Jerome version of the trick) into supposing that this detail might have been added to get around any objection on the part of a listener that an alb would have prevented notice of women's clothing underneath.  But the _Vita_ doesn't emphasize the shoes in any way.  That detail stands out now only because it doesn't quite fit with what's known about shoe styles of the period (i.e., men's and women's shoes essentially the same).

Best again,
John Dillon

On Friday, October 23, 2009, at 4:58 am, Henk wrote:

> Or did they take away his choir habit and put a female cotte in its place,
> all thin wool and a gaudy colour. It does not say anything that
> detailed in
> the quote in Caxton's, but that would be a possibility. He would have
> stood
> out then.
>
> Henk

> to: [log in to unmask]