See below for details of this event, posted on behalf of a colleague. Apolos for x-posting.

George

Prof George McKay

Director, Adelphi Research Institute for

Creative Arts & Sciences, CCM Research Centre

Adelphi House

University of Salford

Greater Manchester M3 6EN

UK

tel (+44 0)161 295 2694/2801

www.adelphi.salford.ac.uk www.ccm.salford.ac.uk

Co-editor, Social Movement Studies: Journal

of Social, Cultural and Political Protest

Media Studies at Salford positioned 13th in UK in RAE2008 (power ranking)

Hello everyone,

I want to invite you all to attend a symposium that I think will be of interest to you and your students. A group of German and American scholars will present a panel of papers titled Television and Popular Culture behind the Wall: Consumption, Adaption, and Transformation of Patterns of Western Popular Culture. The individual titles are

“Youth Culture and Popular Music in East German Family Series”,

“The Subversive Power of Western Pop Music on East German TV”,

“Popular Music on East German TV: Pop as Propaganda”,

“The Shifting Sounds of Cold War Germany: How Broadcasters in Divided Germany Coped with the Challenges of new Aesthetics of Music Consumption in East and West Germany in the 1960s”,

“Turntablerockers behind the Wall”.

The abstracts of the papers and further details can be found by following this link:

http://www.ccm.salford.ac.uk/ccm/news/article/index.php?id=50

The symposium will be given from 3:30 to 6 pm on Thursday 29 October in the first floor lecture theatre of the Centenary Building (HT109).

Best regards,

Tim

Dr Timothy Wise

Co-Programme Leader, Popular Music and Recording

School of Media, Music and Performance

The University of Salford

Adelphi Building

Peru Street