Hi everyone,

this is shamelessly copied and pasted from the event page, but I hope you'll come along to the launch and consider putting together an entry.

cheers, Mia

Calling everybody that loves space and technology! On 24 October the Science Museum is launching a competition to release hundreds of stories from our recently opened Cosmos & Culture exhibition on to the web. Join in as the Museum brings together astronomy enthusiasts and web developers in order to create an amazing mashup of creativity and ideas.

From ancient heritage to cutting-edge technology, Cosmos & Culture traces the history of people and the stars through stories from around the world. But we can't tell all the stories ourselves - we need your help. We're going to release the data relating to the remarkable objects on display so that competition entrants can 'mash it up', creating web interfaces by combining our object data with external resources and software.

This is a bold experiment for the Science Museum - once we've released our data, what happens next is completely up to you. Your challenge is to shine a new light onto our objects and bring the stories behind them to life.

The winning sites will be hosted by us, so not only does taking part look great on your CV, but there are two prizes of £1000 up for grabs.

Whether you're interested in astronomy, websites or a little bit of both, you're invited to our special launch event where you can find out more about the competition and meet people who have the skills you need to put together a winning web interface. Raid the curator's brains about the history of the objects, discover more about online space resources and listen to some cosmic storytelling.

Sound good? Let us know you're coming by signing up for the launch at http://cosmiccollections.eventbrite.com/ and add your details to the competition wiki(http://cosmiccollections.pbworks.com/) to put together a team.

Got some great ideas, but not sure how to turn them into a website? Then register your details at http://cosmiccollections.pbworks.com/ to find some team mates.  Multi-disciplinary and geographically-dispersed teams are welcome and don't worry if you can't make it to London for the launch - the competition is open to all, and submission and judging take place online.

We'll be updating our site and the competition wiki with the competition prizes, judging criteria, and sneak previews to the object data. Follow us http://twitter.com/coscultcom on Twitter, or @sciencemuseum for general Science Museum news. The event hash tag is #coscultcom.

For updates on all Science Museum news and events sign up to our free e-newsletter at www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.