In message
ton.gov.uk>, Linda Ellis <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I would be most interested to hear from someone from Collections Trust
>regarding how CultureGrid will deal with dates particularly BC dates
>and how these might work with projects like Century Share which use
>timelines.

Ditto.

In general, I imagine that if we want to share/search date-related
information, we will have to treat dates either as a set of discrete
concepts, e.g.:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/1700

for the concept of the year 1700 A.D., or as a set of numeric values
along a time axis, as per the suggestions of Wolfgang Orthuber [1].

Personally, I would think we would get more value out of the first
approach, especially if we agree on mechanisms for expressing date
ranges using "concept" dates.

Richard

[1] http://www.orthuber.com/wp1.pdf
--