Family Values: Locating the Family in the Early Modern Italian Workshop
Warwick/London 30-31 October 2009

Dear colleagues,

I fear previous publicity may not have reached your PhD Students and I should be grateful if you could alert them to this fully funded forthcoming workshop, 30-31 October 2009 (thanks to a generous grant from the Andrew Mellon Foundation).

The workshop will be taught by Victoria Avery & Louise Bourdua (Warwick), Philip Lindley (Leicester), and Fabio Massaccesi (Bologna). We shall focus on two Italian sculptural workshops that worked for the English crown, those of Pietro Torrigiani (1472-1528) and Francesco Fanelli (1590-1653), and compare them with contemporary English workshops based in Warwickshire who learned much from their Italian counterparts. We shall also consider the earlier work of the Cosmati family in Westminster Abbey.Classroom-based sessions will introduce participants to the archival documentation pertaining to Italian artists in England and artistic dynasties; site visits to Warwick and London are integral.
Each participant will be entitled to travel within the UK to and from Warwick University (by public transport / second-class / economy ticket), and accommodation and full board on campus will be provided, as will travel to London on the Saturday. Places are limited so the initial registration closes on 16 October. Full details and online application form can be found on:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/ren/mellon-newberry/renaissanceandearlymoderncommunities/familyvalues

There will be another funded workshop in Venice on 6-7 April (just before the RSA), and a Summer School in Venice 18-30 July 2010.

Please circulate!

best wishes,
Louise Bourdua and Victoria Avery

Dr Louise Bourdua