From: learning development in higher education network on behalf of Magyar Anna Dr (DOS)
Sent: Fri 02/10/2009 15:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dissertation students

Hi all
I see a lot of international Masters students, particularly over the summer when many lecturers are away and so I am familiar with negotiating the boundaries and student expectations around my role and that of the supervisor.  Confidentiality is such a central aspect of our service and it is very rare that I have felt the need to persuade the student to allow me to speak to their supervisor. We of course discuss their written work as with any other assignment. But sometimes students talk through their ideas and dilemmas with me rather than with their supervisor, or use me to clarify their thoughts before they see their supervisor.  We might also talk about how they got on with the field work if they are in the middle of writing their methodology but I would always refer them to their supervisor for major questions/advice re their dissertation.

Anna

Dr Anna Magyar
Learning enhancement tutor for international students
Dean of Students Office
University of East Anglia
01603 591312