On 5 Oct 2009, at 07:11 , Stevan Harnad wrote:

> On 5-Oct-09, at 3:44 AM, Kuil, van der Annemiek wrote:
>
>> Apparently there are differences between countries (although
>> acadamia goes beyond borders) and therefore it is difficult to
>> generalise and say that ....
>>
>>> "(4) The difference between the publisher's PDF and the author's
>>> self-archived final refereed, revised draft are completely
>>> trivial. This is not something a researcher would worry about.
>>> Researchers are worried about access denial, not PDF."
>>
>> ... this is certainly not the case in the Netherlands. ...
>
> This fundamental misunderstanding has arisen, and been discussed,
> many times before.
>
> There are no differences whatsoever among researchers -- either in
> terms of country or in terms of discipline -- when one puts the
> question correctly (i.e., in terms of actual access needs,
> conditions and contingencies today, rather than some other ideal
> contingency):
> CORRECT (OPEN-ACCESS-RELEVANT) WAY TO PUT THE QUESTION:
>
> -- CORRECT USER VERSION: If you have no access to the published PDF,
> would you rather have access to the author's self-archived final
> refereed draft (postprint), or no access at all?
>
> -- CORRECT AUTHOR VERSION: If they have no access to the published
> PDF, would you rather users have access to your self-archived final
> refereed postprint, or no access at all?

Those are certainly interesting and useful questions to ask, and
the answers I'd expect them to get certainly would tend to support
the kind of Green OA Steven Harnad advocates.

But they don't seem to support the claim that there the differences
between the last version of a paper sent in by the author and the
paper that appears in the journal are always "completely trivial."

Certainly many of the articles I've been involved with, as
author or as journal editor, have had editorial changes I'd
regard as important, not as trivial.  Some of them have been
improvements.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net