Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:28:28 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [I-S] A modest proposal
To: [log in to unmask]

Cari colleghi,
I would like to propose an idea for discussion among colleagues on this list: an on-line journal of Italian studies. At the present time, there exists, to my knowledge, no such journal; the only on-line resource of this type of which I am aware is the excellent H-Italy, hosted by Michigan State University (www.h-net.org/~italy), which publishes timely reviews of Italy-related books, and has discussion forums for specific topics. Why shouldn't we have a similar resource for scholarly articles?
This proposal comes out of my personal experience. Currently, if I submit an article to a journal, I must wait at least 6 months to hear a response, then wait another 8-15 months before the article appears in print. At that point, I can begin to receive feedback from colleagues on the article and the ideas in it. Why should the flow of ideas and information in the humanities be so slow? After all, in the hard sciences, the on-line publication of articles and abstracts in a timely manner has been the norm for many years, which generates immediate feedback and advances the pursuit of knowledge immensely. Are the humanities really different from the hard sciences in some fundamental way? Or might we benefit also from such an accelerated rhythm of the free and timely exchange of ideas? After all, we already have such forums as this as a means of asking scholarly questions on a specific topic. Why not extend this to articles as a whole?
Che ne dite? Perhaps this forum could be a place to discuss this idea. I'm looking forward to hearing responses from colleagues on this proposal.
Cordiali saluti.
Jim Ward, Berkeley, CA

Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.
To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/