Dear Jim,

Couldn't agree more on the frustration. However, there are by now
several online journals in Italian Studies.

In many ways, rather than have a generic Italian Studies venture, it
would seem to be best to continue to develop sub-area specific e-
periodicals. The risk with a generic super-venture would be the size
and the identity of the operation.

On processing times. Web productions are quite time consuming and do
require investment and staff. So again, while it is great to have
these new facilities and expect faster processing times, we should
bear in mind that e-editors (i.e., busy academics) take on all roles,
going well beyond conventional editing, incl. web designing,
publishing and promoting.

Can I invite you and other list members to visit the EJGS - Edinburgh
Journal of Gadda Studies - http://www.arts.ed.ac.uk/italian/gadda/index.php

The EJGS is going for 10 next year. To mark the anniversary, the EJGS
Team is planning a series of events (soon to be announced to the list)
and a Decennial Special Edition.

All best,

Federica
Federica G. Pedriali

Professor of Literary Metatheory and Modern Italian Studies
Director and General Editor of the Edinburgh Journal of Gadda Studies
IPSE Honorary Director and Patron
Head of Italian

School of Literatures Languages and Cultures
University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Scotland UK
direct dial: +44 0131 650 3642
fax: +44 0131 651 1482

personal web: http://www.selc.ed.ac.uk/italian/staff/f_pedriali.htm
departmental web: http://www.selc.ed.ac.uk/italian/
Gadda web: http://www.arts.ed.ac.uk/italian/gadda/index.php
Gadda departmental web: http://www.selc.ed.ac.uk/italian/gadda.htm

On 27 Oct 2009, at 13:28, James Ward wrote:

> italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian
> studies Cari colleghi,
> I would like to propose an idea for discussion among colleagues on
> this list: an on-line journal of Italian studies. At the present
> time, there exists, to my knowledge, no such journal; the only on-
> line resource of this type of which I am aware is the excellent H-
> Italy, hosted by Michigan State University (www.h-net.org/~italy),
> which publishes timely reviews of Italy-related books, and has
> discussion forums for specific topics. Why shouldn't we have a
> similar resource for scholarly articles?
> This proposal comes out of my personal experience. Currently, if I
> submit an article to a journal, I must wait at least 6 months to
> hear a response, then wait another 8-15 months before the article
> appears in print. At that point, I can begin to receive feedback
> from colleagues on the article and the ideas in it. Why should the
> flow of ideas and information in the humanities be so slow? After
> all, in the hard sciences, the on-line publication of articles and
> abstracts in a timely manner has been the norm for many years, which
> generates immediate feedback and advances the pursuit of knowledge
> immensely. Are the humanities really different from the hard
> sciences in some fundamental way? Or might we benefit also from such
> an accelerated rhythm of the free and timely exchange of ideas?
> After all, we already have such forums as this as a means of asking
> scholarly questions on a specific topic. Why not extend this to
> articles as a whole?
> Che ne dite? Perhaps this forum could be a place to discuss this
> idea. I'm looking forward to hearing responses from colleagues on
> this proposal.
> Cordiali saluti.
> Jim Ward, Berkeley, CA
>

> Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.
>  join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to:[log in to unmask]
>  To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]
>  To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies to: [log in to unmask]
>  In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
> to: [log in to unmask] For further information,
> visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME