Dear Jim and all colleagues,

I am a new entry in this mailing list, so maybe I should firstly introduce
myself.
My name is Veronica Periani and I am just starting a PhD at the University
of Birmingham, UK, on the connections between Italian contemporary
literature and Web 2.0, with a particular focus on the new literary trend
termed "New Italian Epic'.  Although, for obvious reasons, I still don't
have any experience about articles' publication, I find interesting Jim's
reflections, especially the comparison he advances between publications
modalities in humanities and hard sciences.

If I understand correctly, what you propose, Jim, is not the creation of
another online journal, rather speeding up the peer-review process? In a few
words, extending the purpose of this mailing list, also including peer
review on articles by list members?
I think this could be feasible and not particularly complicated, if a
certain number of collegues were available. Let's wait and see what
happens...

P.S. By the way, I often make reference to this database of Italian
journals: http://www.italinemo.it/.
It includes Italian studies journals from all over the world.

Greetings,

Veronica.

2009/10/27 James Ward <[log in to unmask]>

> italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies
> Cari colleghi,
> I would like to propose an idea for discussion among colleagues on this
> list: an on-line journal of Italian studies. At the present time, there
> exists, to my knowledge, no such journal; the only on-line resource of this
> type of which I am aware is the excellent H-Italy, hosted by Michigan State
> University (www.h-net.org/~italy <http://www.h-net.org/%7Eitaly>), which
> publishes timely reviews of Italy-related books, and has discussion forums
> for specific topics. Why shouldn't we have a similar resource for scholarly
> articles?
> This proposal comes out of my personal experience. Currently, if I submit
> an article to a journal, I must wait at least 6 months to hear a response,
> then wait another 8-15 months before the article appears in print. At that
> point, I can begin to receive feedback from colleagues on the article and
> the ideas in it. Why should the flow of ideas and information in the
> humanities be so slow? After all, in the hard sciences, the on-line
> publication of articles and abstracts in a timely manner has been the norm
> for many years, which generates immediate feedback and advances the pursuit
> of knowledge immensely. Are the humanities really different from the hard
> sciences in some fundamental way? Or might we benefit also from such an
> accelerated rhythm of the free and timely exchange of ideas? After all, we
> already have such forums as this as a means of asking scholarly questions on
> a specific topic. Why not extend this to articles as a whole?
> Che ne dite? Perhaps this forum could be a place to discuss this idea. I'm
> looking forward to hearing responses from colleagues on this proposal.
> Cordiali saluti.
> Jim Ward, Berkeley, CA

> Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.<http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen1:102009>
> join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to:
> [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
> [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
> italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or
> to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our
> web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME