From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Boldrini
Sent: 20 October 2009 09:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Data Exchange

Hi HERO's

one of many things I am pondering is data exchange.

By this I mean exchanging digital data of event, monument finds etc data with different groups.

I have had some experience of this, we have received some data from Contractors, quite a bit from some Community Archaeology Projects, and shared data with Neighbouring LA's.

The data has varied from GIS layers which we don't need to incorporate into the HER fully (eg neighbouring LA data) to GIS and databases we would want to bring in fully.

There are lots of issue relating to bringing the data into the HER (Copyright, actually importing the data and related data standard issues, etc).

However, when talking to people about this I am regularly asked if there are any set standards to use when they create the data.

Obviously I mention MIDAS and INSCRIPTION and their eyes glaze over...

I am also aware that there are various initiatives looking at these issues eg I think it was suggested OASIS to look at getting GIS coverage of events from contractors at HER Forum in Sheffield (or was it HBSMR UG?), and also ASPIRE is available (though this seems to have stalled).

The point of all this is one of the things I am trying to come up with is a quick, short and Plain English introduction to what information an HER would require from people as a minimum, to make the records useful, and easy to integrate.

Has anyone looked at this or produced anything like it for their HER?

I would also be interested to hear any experience of data swapping and things to avoid/worked well when getting data from contractors local societies etc.

thanks

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Access your county council services online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at www.northyorks.gov.uk<http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/>.

WARNING

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of North Yorkshire County Council.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone, notify the sender at the above address and then destroy all copies.

North Yorkshire County Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. All GCSX traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Although we have endeavoured to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments are free from any virus we would advise you to take any necessary steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.

If you receive an automatic response stating that the recipient is away from the office and you wish to request information under either the Freedom of Information Act, the Data Protection Act or the Environmental Information Regulations please forward your request by e-mail to the Data Management Team ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) who will process your request.

North Yorkshire County Council.

Think before you print - only print this email if absolutely necessary.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the named addressee you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission and you should notify us as soon as possible.

This email and any attachments are believed to be free from viruses but it is your
responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks and Gloucestershire County Council
accepts no liability in connection therewith.