I think I'm starting to get the idea! You all are SO helpful!

-Dianne

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Matt Glasser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
There are a couple of things that cause these asymmetries. 1) As Scott says,
one encounters a different pattern of local diffusion going in one direction
than one does going in the other.  2) This is more complex because newer
versions of FDT model 2 or more fibers.  Thus, tracts can become
non-symmetrical by choosing one fiber when tracking in one direction through
a voxel, but the other when tracking the other direction.

Two mask symmetric actually does an A to B and adds it to a B to A, so one
can use that or do them separately.  I usually do them separately because
two mask symmetric didn't used to output a waytotal file (I don't know if it
still doesn't).

Peace,

Matt.

-----Original Message-----
From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Scott Kolbe
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 11:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] probtrackx conceptualization problem

Dear Dianne

I think about it in terms of /serial /sampling of the principal
direction of diffusion (PDD). when you use probtrack with seed/waypoint
your start sampling from all seed voxels and keep only the samples which
pass through the waypoint. when you use two mask symmetric you seed from
both regions and keep the samples which pass through the other (please
check this as i can't seem to access the FSL website at the mom to check
it myself). when you sample the PDD serially, errors will build up as a
function of distance from the seed. so when you seed from both "ends" of
a hypothesised tract you improve the SNR of your tract estimate.

In the case of cortico-cortico connections, I think it's best to track
twice: first using a seed in region A and a waypoint in region B, then
from B to A. The intersection of the two results is a good estimate of
the tract location, and SNR should be reasonably good along the whole
length of the pathway.

anyone please feel free to disagree.

cheers
Scott