I think the important task right now is to spread the ideas that Nick has packaged and at the same time to promote the most helpful interpretation of Popper's ideas, which to my mind amounts to the same thing.

The misrepresentation of Popper, under the label of falsificationism, is a very strange phenomenon but it turns up time after time as I am conducting a systematic review of (a) introductory books and (b) "state of the philosophical nation" books.

Books of the first kind mention Popperian falsificationism, say it does not work and proceed to other authors.

Books of the second kind often enough do not mention Popper at all. Examples are Brian Leiter (ed) The Future for Philosophy, Clarendon Press, 2004, a recent collection edited by O'Hear on philosophy in the third millenium and a collection of interviews by Baggini and Strangeroom "What philosophers think".

It seems that my perspective is rather different from most Popper commentary, partly because I was operating in a kind of wisdom mode before ever reading Popper. Concern with the food and hunger situation led me into Agricultural Science (not really the problem) then to Sociology (an intellectual disaster area). Popper's ideas reinforced all the tendencies that I had to work on a range of problems, across discpiplines, looking for both scientific unification and human outcomes.

I suppose sometime I will have to come to grips with Nick's arguments about the shortcomings of Popper's work but I don't want a difference of interpretation here to overshadow the overwhelming mass of views and objectives that we share.

In addition to spreading shared views I want to make the case for the classical liberal agenda which is the best way that I can see to approach our  social, economic and political problems. There is more good in economics and political economy than most people realise but the most important school of thought (the Austrians) has been marginalised, rather like Popper's philosophy. The Austrians themselves do not like Popper (some hate him) so there is a challenging task ahead!

This is my take on the Austrians, in the context of the debate about deregulation in Australia.

http://www.the-rathouse.com/hayaustriankey.html

And this is how I see the synergy of Popper and the other Austrians.

http://www.the-rathouse.com/RC_PopperPaper.html

Rafe Champion

Sydney