A few years ago we changed all the locks in the College and moved to a suited lock system which has allowed a lot more control.  Helped by a very good locksmith we devised a new locking system and we fitted every door with a different grade of lock from High Security to General purpose. We have about 14 different types of lock and key.  Staff are then issued with a key which will allow them access only to the areas they need to be in-thus teaching staff who work in a standard classroom have a lower grade key than those who work in a practical area like a chemistry lab. All keys are numbered and each staff member has to sign for their key-the number is logged on a data base and the signed sheet kept in their personnel files. When they leave College they have to return the keys.

 Staff are not permitted to pass keys to others and any other key issued has to be authorised.  Certain staff -Estates for example- have high grade keys which allow access to more areas. On the whole it has worked very well and the initial expenditure and headache of changing every lock was worthwhile.

Hope this helps

Nikki

Nikki Hounsell

Property and Estates Manager