Dear Sheri,

I agree with your analysis, what I too very commonly come across in my daily dealings with clinicians of all hues (including, I have to sadly admit, Professors as well) is an appalling lack of critical appraisal skills and a very shaky understanding of the principles of clinical epidemiology.

Coupled with this, is something very distasteful that many of us have skirted around but have not mentioned openly so far in our discourses on this discussion thread ie Conflicts of Interest (COI). Unless we can divorce COI from EBM and banish it completely (a very difficult task indeed), we will never be able to achieve our ultimate dream ie the intricate weaving of EBM into the tapestry of all clinical guidelines, especially from medical professional bodies.

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) has very recently published a very comprehensive book on  'COI in Medical Education, Research and Practice'. Chapter 7 deals with COI in relation to development of clinical practice guidelines:

Table of Contents

Front Matter i-xxii
Summary 1-22 (skim)
1 Introduction 23-43 (skim)
2 Principles for Identifying and Assessing Conflicts of Interest 44-61 (skim)
3 Policies on Conflict of Interest: Overview and Evidence 62-96 (skim)
4 Conflicts of Interest in Biomedical Research 97-121 (skim)
5 Conflicts of Interest in Medical Education 122-165 (skim)
6 Conflicts of Interest and Medical Practice 166-188 (skim)
7 Conflicts of Interest and Development of Clinical Practice Guidelines 189-215 (skim)
8 Institutional Conflicts of Interest 216-229 (skim)
9 Role of Supporting Organizations 230-239 (skim)
References 240-284 (skim)
Appendix A: Study Activities 285-294 (skim)
Appendix B: U.S. Public Health Service Regulations: Objectivity in Research (42 CFR 50) 295-301 (skim)
Appendix C: Conflict of Interest in Four Professions: A Comparative Analysis 302-357 (skim)
Appendix D: How Psychological Research Can Inform Policies for Dealing with Conflicts of Interest in Medicine 358-374 (skim)
Appendix E: The Pathway from Idea to Regulatory Approval: Examples for Drug Development 375-383 (skim)
Appendix F: Model for Broader Disclosure 384-391 (skim)
Appendix G: Committee Biographies 392-400 (skim)
Index 401-414 (skim)

PDF Summary

Report In Brief

Regards,