Mike,  this is indeed VERY interesting particularly since the ACCP gudelines are seen as the the most credible and rigorous guidelines that have been developed by any professional society...In fact, they are considered the model EBM guidelines....If you are correct (that these gudelines are also flawed), I would strongly urge you to submit your findings  for publications in a peer-review literature… But, before you do it, it would also be important to know whether differences in recommendations occurred for those clinical circumstances where ACCP guidelines made STRONG recommendations (based on high quality evidence) (grade 1A), or where ACCP makes WEAK recommendations (i.e. only suggestion) due to low quality evidence (Grade 2C)….If the differences exist for Grade 1A recommendations, then the entire field of quality measurements is doomed to fail…Can you please elaborate?

This discussion is really important, and I hope others will comment as well

Thanks

ben

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; Djulbegovic, Benjamin
Subject: Re: Reliable, Relevant Information About VTE Prophylaxis in THR AND TKR Surgery and More

Ben, our recommendations differed from AACP’s recommendations in that--

Combination Therapy

§         We recommended for THR and TKR surgery prophylaxis that mechanical compression devices be used in conjunction with recommended pharmacological agents (enoxaparin, warfarin, fondaparinux or aspirin), continuing at least through discharge (LOE: Fair for reduction of overall DVT rates; Inconclusive for reduction of symptomatic DVT, proximal DVT and PE rates).

§         We recommended that until further evidence is available, decisions regarding the extension of VTE prophylaxis beyond hospitalization be individualized following risk assessment.

§         AACP suggested ONE of their recommended agents for 10 days for THR and TKR and to extend beyond 10 days up to 35 days (with enoxaparin, fondaparinux or warfarin) for THR prophylaxis.

Mechanical Devices

§         We recommended that mechanical devices be applied and monitored by trained staff immediately postoperatively and worn constantly during hospitalization except for cleaning or when walking in all patients undergoing THR or TKR surgery. There was insufficient evidence to make recommendations regarding use of mechanical devices following hospital discharge.

§         AACP guidelines recommend that mechanical methods be used primarily for patients at high bleeding risk or possibly as an adjunct to anticoagulant thromboprophylaxis.

Aspirin

§         We and AACP were concordant over aspirin.  We recommended against the use of aspirin alone for VTE prophylaxis in THR and TKR surgery. (LOE: Fair for lack of efficacy)

§         AACP guidelines recommend against the use of aspirin alone as thromboprophylaxis.

For full guideline and decision support information you can go to

http://www.delfini.org/Showcase_Project_VTE.htm

Best, Mike

Michael E Stuart MD
President & Medical Director, Delfini Group
Clinical Asst Professor, UW School of Medicine
6831 31st Ave N.E.
Seattle, Washington 98115
206-854-3680 Mobile Phone
206-527-6146 Home Office
www.delfini.org

On Wed Sep 30 13:18 , "Djulbegovic, Benjamin" sent:

Thanks, Michael

Can you tell how often your recommendations in fact differed from the ACCP guidelines? That would be very interesting to learn.

Best

ben