Neal - you raise some important and relevant issues but for me your
comments also highlight the need for us to be more explicit about the
different phases of a comprehensive EBM curriculum. To take an analogy
from, say pathophysiology, students initially get taught the basic
principles and then they get taught the application of these principles.
Your suggestions are mainly about the application phase of a
curriculum and I would suggest that the searching for individual
papers and critically appraising individual papers should be done as
part of the initial principles stage of an EBM curriculum.
If you want a radical proposal, I would proprose that no medical
student should be able to qualify without first being a significant
contributor at all phases of a systematic review, as SRs should be our
primary source of evidence when available. We would also generate a
lot more SRs in the process!

regards

Rod