Second CFP:  Intersections of creativity: the geographies of creative industries and
cultural practices.

Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting, Washington DC April  14-18,
2010

with apologies for cross-postings

(session organizers Dr David Harvey, Dr Nicola Thomas and Dr Harriet
Hawkins, School of Geography, University of Exeter, UK)

This session seeks to provoke discussion between the cultural geographies of creative
practices and products, and the economic and political geographies of the creative
industries. Whilst there is much work on the creative sector across geography, in this
session we aim to bring about a convergence of this research around conceptualisations
of place. Cultural geographers have analysed the practices and products of artists,
musicians, and other practitioners, exploring the relationships of their work to the spaces
and places in which they are produced and consumed. In short, this research links the
geographies within the works (engaging with concepts of identity,community, landscape
etc.), with the geographies of the work's production, consumption and circulation.

Alongside this research, economic and political geographers have focused
attention on the spatialities of the creative industries (considering narratives of clusters
and 'other  geographies'), as well as thinking through the politics of creative labour and
the changing geographies of governance within the sector. Furthermore, such narratives
of placed and embedded cultural practice have been countered with discussion of the
placelessness of the knowledge economy.

In this session, we want to bring these different areas of the discipline together around
the topic of creativity and place. We are looking for papers that explore the range,
intensity and quality of the relationships between creative industries, cultural practices
and place. We welcome papers that explore elements of and linkages between, the
production, consumption and circulation of creative products. We are especially interested
in papers that prompt reflection on the intersection of research on creative practices from
across the discipline.

Please direct expressions of interest and abstracts of not more than 250
words to  [log in to unmask] by Friday 16th October 2009.

Please ensure that your abstracts meet the AAG requirements. See:
http://www.aag.org/annualmeetings/2010/papers.htm