Final for papers and participation in un-COP15 Academic Seminar Blockade

Climate Change: power, policy and public action

Sunday 13th December, 2009, Copenhagen

The United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 15) takes place in Copenhagen from 7th to 18th December 2009. Scientists and environmental and social justice groups fear COP 15 will not meaningfully address the complex issues of global climate change: rather, that governments will be reluctant to challenge dominant and entrenched free market orthodoxy. James Hansen, of NASA, is one of many scientists who question the sufficiency of both conventional knowledge-making and representative politics in ensuring that global carbon emissions are effectively curbed:

The democratic process doesn't quite seem to be working…. What is frustrating people, me included, is that democratic action affects elections but what we get then from political leaders is greenwash…. I’m not surprised that people are getting frustrated. I think that peaceful demonstration is not out of order, because we're running out of time’ (Adam, 2009).

Elsewhere in Copenhagen, then, grassroots movements from across the world are staging a number of alternative forums, meetings and events to voice their concerns. This call for papers/participation is a call to academics to transform the everyday practice of the academy into a creative act of resistance and solidarity with this global movement for climate justice.

This session is intended as an 'Academic Seminar Blockade', a form of constructive resistance. We wish to defend academic inquiry and critical reflection on the complex issues surrounding climate change and environmental and social justice by holding a peaceful academic seminar 'in the street’. Participation in such an academic endeavour is resistance to a culture of governmentality, through positively re-making public space to reflect on the world and reclaim the global and intellectual commons of democratic debate and accountability. Such academic activities have been successfully utilized as an academic strategy and position elsewhere. As part of Faslane 365, a year-long campaign against Britain’s Trident nuclear missiles, for example, organisers Stellan Vinthagen and Justin Kenrick argued that academic blockades, grounded in empirical and epistemological rationales, put critique into action:

‘Academics can and should be central to this process of envisioning and realising the kind of society we want’ (Kenrick & Vinthagen, 2008).

The Academic Seminar Blockade 'Climate Change: power, policy and public action' will feature presentations, papers, questions and debate in much the same way as in conventional conference spaces, but in visible, public space in the centre of Copenhagen. The precise location will be decided through participation with local academics and other alternative COP 15 event organisers. This call invites potential participants to register an interest in making a short academic intervention in this way, on any aspect of the environmental and social injustices of climate change. A variety of interventions is encouraged, from relevant research findings to ethical statements, from disciplines across the academic spectrum. Similarly, creativity in the use of images and performance is welcome.

Convenors:

Kye Askins (Geography and Environment, School of Applied Sciences, Northumbria University) [log in to unmask]

Justin Kenrick (Sustainable Development, Department of Geography and Geoscience, University of St Andrews) [log in to unmask]

Kelvin Mason (Graduate School of the Environment, Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth) [log in to unmask]

Please register an interest or send abstracts to Kelvin Mason by Thursday November 5th 2009

Adam, D (2009) Leading climate scientist: 'democratic process isn't working', London: Guardian, 18 March, accessed 5 October 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/mar/18/nasa-climate-change-james-hansen

Kenrick, J & S Vinthagen (2008) ‘Critique in Action: Academic Conference Blockades’ IN Zelter A, Faslane 365: A year of anti-nuclear blockades, Edinburgh: Luath

Dr Kelvin Mason

Distance Learning Tutor

Graduate School of the Environment

Unit 7 Dyfi Eco Parc

Machynlleth

SY20 8AX

01654 703065 ext. 29

Centre for Alternative Technology Charity Limited (CAT), Machynlleth, Powys, SY20 9AZ, Wales, UK.

Centre for Alternative Technology Public Limited Company; a company limited by shares.  Company no. 1459589, registered in Wales.  Registered office: Llwyngwern, Machynlleth, Powys, SY20 9AZ.

Centre for Alternative Technology Charity Limited; a company limited by guarantee.  Charity no. 265239; Company no. 1090006, registered in Wales. Registered office: Llwyngwern, Machynlleth, Powys, SY20 9AZ