Dear Colleagues,
I am Erica Brostoff, M.Sc. (Social Psychology) and representing my
council estate of 9 blocks and 350 units, on the local Holborn
Housing District Management Committee (DMC) in the London Borough of
Camden  Although living here for the last 15 years, I have only just
learned that we are the largest of about 30 council estates in this
ward - a surprising number for central London.  The DMC meets
quarterly to discuss a wide range of housing issues, and meetings
often last from 7 - 11 pm.  (too late)

A few years ago, our estate (through me) commissioned Dr.R. J. (Sean)
Cameron, of UCL and keynote speaker when the London and Home Counties
Branch was set up, to carry out a study
on the estate - the most pressing problem was urination in lifts and
on stairs and landings.   On this point he found a Japanese reference
which stated that CCTV in lifts and stairwells was the best, and
possibly the only complete solution.  However, the CCTV on the estate
generally is not
connected to the central system, while at the same time this problem
eased -  this idea needs revisiting.

Dr. Cameron made other suggestions about community cohesion.
However, the effort the tenants and residents committee (TRA) have
had to exert with housing staff were so exhausting and unsatisfactory
over basic facilities like outdoor lighting that no energy was left
for engaging tenants.  Housing management staff have changed with
change of political control and we are somewhat more optimistic.

I do not envisage being able to  exchange  information at the present
time, due to the said exhaustion, and works on the estate for Decent
Homes, renewal of lifts etc. to occur shortly, also Pathfinder grant
to improve playground.  All these should alter the tenor of the
estate, which has been quite disengaged.    If the proposed Section
is set up, that might be an appropriate time to give more detail if
requested.   I also look forward to benefitting from later
exchanges.  I also thank psychologists at LSE, London who advised
last year on community matters.
Until later.  Best wishes.   Erica Brostoff,

___________________________________
The Community Psychology List has a new website/blog at:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/
There is a threaded discussion forum:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
There is a twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/CommPsychUK
To post on the website blog, forum or twitter feed, contact Grant or David at the email addresses below.
David Fryer ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe or to change your details on this COMMUNITYPSYCHUK list, visit the website:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK