Paul,

I just looked at the source code for "reduce."  It seems there is a
global variable that gets returned from main(), ReturnCodeGlobal,
which is set to 0 by default.  However, further down in the code is
this (in the "processPDBfile" function):

// adjust cliques

	 std::list< std::list<MoverPtr> > cc_list = clst.cliques();
	//cerr << "start: " << cc_list.size() << endl;
	 for (std::list< std::list<MoverPtr> >::iterator cc =
cc_list.begin(); cc != cc_list.end(); ++cc) {
		//cerr << "start2" << endl;
	    int nscnt = xyz.orientClique(*cc, ExhaustiveLimit);
		if (nscnt > 0) { Tally._num_adj += nscnt; }
	    else { // too many permutations, make note
	      ReturnCodeGlobal = ABANDONED_RC;
	    }
	 }

Where ABANDONED_RC is elsewhere defined as 1.

This is the only obvious place in the "reduce" code I can find where
ReturnCodeGlobal is set to something other than 0.  I'm not sure what
they mean (in the comment) by "too many permutations," though.  Do you
think this is a fatal error that calls for not running "probe"?
Otherwise, I might try to just work around this by modifying the Coot
source to ignore the return value of "reduce."

Thanks again,
Tom