agree with Michael, use low concentration of detergent. I normally resuspend the cell in buffer and sonicate, spin down at 6000 g., resuspend again with buffer containing small amount of detergent and resonicate, spin down again at 6000 g. finally was with buffer again (resuspend and spin down).

By the way, Michael, I've tried washing with 2 M urea but found some protein in the wash out (soluble), very small amount (not detectable by SDS PAGE but faint band observed upon WB). Is it a sign that the protein was properly folded like you mentioned?

Wangsa