From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dale Tronrud
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 3:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] temperature factors, mosaicity and wilson plot

    The Wilson B and the average B are calculated differently so there is no reason to expect that they will be equal.  The derivation of the Wilson B assumes that all B's in the model are equal.  When there really is a spread in the actual values in the PDB file the derivation isn't really valid.  Usually the average B will be larger than the Wilson B because the atoms with very large B values will have stopped diffracting at lower resolution than the shells used to calculate the Wilson B.

    If you want to compare you model to your Wilson B you should calculate Fcalc from your PDB and calculate a Wilson B from those.  The numbers will almost certainly match.  The refinement program has to be pretty screwed up to cause the overall B of the model not to match the Fobs.

Dale Tronrud