The default sigma cutoff (in denzo) is -3 and I wouldn't override that
without good reason. The cut-off is applied before averaging equivalent
reflections (but after adding partials?). If you reject all negative
observations of a particular reflection and average the remaining
positive observations, you will get an artificially inflated estimate
of the intensity.

Even if the intensity is negative after averaging, the French&Wilson
treatment in truncate will give you a positive F in the end.
Apparently there is some information in the negative reflections,
i.e. the most likely value of Fobs for a reflection with Iobs= -0.01 sigma
is greater than that for a reflection with Iobs=-1.5 sigma.
Ed