My problem here is making a Johnsonian distinction between fleas and lice.  That is to say I have very little time for abstract defence of the role of the traditional intellectual which is the core of the opposition to impact assessment.  On the other hand I have equally no time for a research agenda dictated by the needs of ‘UK PLC’.  However, a contest about what is relevant research is actually an important part of organic intellectual activity – in other words if people involved with Capital and Class think their research has no impact then they should be doing something else. It is a matter of what impact and for whom and that is something where we fight instead of pretending to be little intellectual tin gods way above the sordid issues of what knowledge actually does in the world.

David Byrne

From: To complement the journal 'Capital and Class' (ISSN 0 309 8786) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wells, Julian
Sent: 26 October 2009 13:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Stand up for research - appeal from UCU

This is likely to be already on the agenda of many CAPITAL-AND-CLASS list members – so this is a note to suggest that you move it to the top of your personal agenda right now: it only takes a few seconds to sign up, and the HEFCE proposals have ominous implications for the kind of research programmes of relevance to the journal.

Dr Julian Wells

staff web-page: http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/staff/cv.php?staffnum=287

personal web-site: http://staffnet.kingston.ac.uk/~ku32530

Senior lecturer in economics