Geraldine

Not quite sure what you mean - but a friend of mine - who cris cheek introduced me to - is on Gormley's bloody plinth soon! If the marathon at the Serpentine offends you I hope you find Gormley's 'people's plinth' worse. I've two artist and four poet friends who have been on the plinth and love it. To me, it's like winning £20 on a Scratch Card; for them, it's the Roll Over. Or, is that the other way round? Anyway here is a friend's 'fabulous' event... Actually, SHE is fabulous...

The Itinerant Poetry Librarian will be installing her library on the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar Square, London, on Thursday October 8th, Midnight until 1am as part of artist Anthony Gormley’s public art commission.

At 12.30am we will have special guests, GAGGLE, the NME-Top-50 all female choir performing a library song surrounding the library on the plinth.

The Itinerant Poetry Library is a free travelling poetry library, which for the past 3 years has continuously circumnavigated the globe providing a free public poetry library service to the good citizens of 11 countries, 25 cities, in 150+ different locations, and with over 1000 members undergoing joining procedures during the
1000+ hours of public library service it has provided.

It is a live art and library service project at one and the same time. It was originally founded in Norwich in the UK in 2002 as part of The Poetry Cubicle, but in 2006 went into orbit. It relies on no external funding sources except the goodwill of the world aka THE ZEN OF THE LIBRARY.

The Itinerant Poetry Librarian carries by hand her entire library and life as she goes, consequently eating, sleeping and living wherever her library is.

We're here to: # Remind people of the importance of free public libraries; # Subvert mainstream channels of distribution; # Remind people that access to knowledge should be free and not dependent upon economic wealth hierarchies; # Show people that poetry/art can provide answers to questions we ask of life; # Experiment in existing outside of 'the market' – thereby, instead, investing in social capital, social innovation and community.

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Lemony Snicket and the Queen of Holland have all been in our library.

This will be only the second England installation of the Library since we began orbiting post 2006.

For further information see: http://www.tipl.info or email our librarian:

We look forward to seeing you at the library! Note, this night and for one night only, you may need some climbing ropes to reach us!

The Itinerant Poetry Librarian
"Reaching the parts other libraries have yet to reach"