What a brilliant post Tim.  Thank you.

G.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tim Allen
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: are there any black or asian avantgarde poets in uk

One of the things you left out below, Rupert, is that a large
incentive behind all kinds of avant poetry is the desire to escape,
transcend or play with our notions of identity, whereas the general
tendency in black and asian writing has been from the other direction,
the search to define and find a more stable identity. The reasons for
these different approaches are pretty obvious. A similar thing
happened with regard to the main thrust of British feminist writing
where the desire to identify and explore female identity was much
stronger than the desire to jump out of it.  These rifts appeared
first back in the late 60's and early 70's but, as i've said before,
didn't really gain strength until the 80's, by which time the
differences between 'expansive' poetry (what a lot of avant stuff
sometimes got called then) and mainstream cliche were clear and just
about unbridgeable. The fact that so much 'identity' driven poetry
drove itself (or was driven by the patronizing establishment) into
cliche was a tragedy. The ways in which identity poetics were readily
available to be taken-in by the mainstream - and became a huge and
healthy part of that mainstream - had their negative image in the ways
in which the identity-fleeing poetry of the avant garde was able to be
dismissed, and even accused of being anti-people etc in the process.

I have to admit that years ago when I was thrown into this world of
polemics and political dirty tricks, with regard to something as
seemingly harmless as poetry, it was quite a shock. What was probably
more shocking though was the way people could be taken-in and believe
all the nonsense. There are elements of such beliefs and perceptions
in some of your comments below - but engagement with them could send
us back into the murky waters of a recent thread that we have only
just extricated ourselves from.

The topic of the lack of black and Asian poets engaging with the Brit
avant garde has for a long time been very difficult to engage with.
I've been accused of being racist (and sexist with regard to feminist
poetry) by snooty twits for even mentioning the subject. I should
think it partly accounts for the reticence shown in responding to
David's original question. But have things changed? Marriott was long
used as the exception that proved the rule but even now, as you might
have noticed, the list of names is very small (not small in talent
though - Vahni is quite incredible).

Cheers

Tim A