Well Rupert on the avant garde is always to be taken with a large pinch of salt - he seems to conclude that the avant garde  don't support the postal workers strike!  I'm sure not all of them do but it's still an hilarious conclusion to what amounts to yet another avant garde bashing session from Rupert.  Bless.

But yes not a huge showing from the black and Asian community but it's not a very huge scene is it?  And worth mentioning that it's in the visual arts were some of the most adventurous and daring work has been done by black and Asian artists where they seem to thrive, especially in the up-it's-own-arse-art that Rupert so despises.

G.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Chivers
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 12:11 AM
  Subject: are there any black or asian avantgarde poets in uk

  D.S. Marriott
  Anthony Joseph
  Sascha Akhtar
  Siddhartha Bose
  Vahni C.

  Marriott is based in US though, which is interesting in itself as I believe
  there is far more support/infrastructure for experimental work from black
  writers there than in the UK, where as Rupert points out a great deal of
  black and asian writing often conforms to a variety of conservative notions,
  esp. via performance poetry. That's a generalisation, of course - there's
  plenty of interesting stuff in there too.