Rupert -- I wasn't championing the cause of academic study of
"innovative poetry" I was merely saying what I believe to be the
purpose of the new magazine.

Of course there are problems with such a "discipline", the biggest one
being how to identify the subject -- innovative poetry. One obvious
way would be to locate some contrasting poetry which isn't innovative
but that can be extremely difficult because some poetry is innovative
in one way and some in another and actually, most poetry definitely
has something "new" about it. In fact I don't think they do this . (I
might be wrong here but I don't think that hostile analysis of non-
innovative poetry is normally part of the run of things). What you do
is select a quite small number of young-ish poets and say "These are
the innovative poets, these are what we study, the rest can go hang."
And having dipped my nose into these areas from time to time it I get
the impression that in all the I.P. pockets all over the country they
are selecting more-or-less the same few poets, except in a certain
south-easterly direction where they select a different and smaller
group. And other regional variants.  I think that the principal
qualifying factor is a hostility to the entire culture we inhabit
manifested through a belief that "language" is at the heart of the
problem, by adherence to the conclusions of linguistic philosophy,
stated or implied. So the innovative is defined not so much against
conservative poetry as against a general cultural sense of stagnation
and normative language use.

I think it is also undeniably true that some of the poets selected at
University A are probably teaching at University B, which is an
inevitable result of the demand for a shared cultural agenda which
will produce the right kind of innovative poetry.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this (kind of) study as
such. What I find worrying about it is the creation of a selective
history in exactly the way that English departments have always done
-- "This is what we study because this is what is important." People
like Leavis and Davie can be seen in the same way constructing a
history, or a tradition of contemporary poetry of which they are the
guardians (and which now look like fairly ramshackle affairs with
moments of brilliant perception). Treatment of pre-C20 lit. has been
just the same. You end up with a "canon" as they call it.  The
possibility of a shifted climate in which we escape from canons
doesn't really seem to enter into it, and yet that seems to be what is
happening in changing patterns of publication and consumption of new
poetry at present.

So, again, a valuable move towards the future is attenuated by the
amount of freight it is willing to carry with it  (and quite possibly
encumbered with the amount of extra-poetical baggage it loads itself
with).  Well, it could be so, in certain hands.

PR