Roger, are the HDLc and LDLc both direct assays by both labs?

Once upon a time, I did a contract study for an IVD manufacturer looking for biases between 1st generation and 2nd generation assays for HDLc and LDLc.  Since the reported discordant samples were rare, I ran these 4 assays on hundreds of samples, from in patients and out patients, submitted to the university hospital lab, regardless of diagnosis or acuity.  During this study I found a few samples that had undetectable HDLc and LDLc by either generation of assay.  As interesting as that was, these were not discordant samples that I was seeking, and I only had time for a cursory check of their condition.  The only thing I noticed was that they were experiencing major acute phase response.  Perhaps CRP or other acute phase reactants can cause negative interference in some of the direct assays.

-Jim
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/