Dr. Bertholf

Have you checked for paraprotein interference? I have seen rare cases in which this led to an artificially low hdl. Paraprotiens tend to cause precipitates while the reaction is running.

Joe

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Young
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Unusual lipid results

Roger

This is a very unusual set of results, as you are fully aware.  I would be very suspicious that there is something causing negative interference with the cholesterol measurement.  Do you know if the cholesterol methods used in the two labs relied on the same principle?   I would proceed to ultracentrifugation (if available), plus measurement of apoA1 and apoB.

Best wishes

Ian

Ian S.Young

Professor of Medicine, Queen's University Belfast

Wellcome Research Laboratories

Top Floor ICS A Block

Royal Victoria Hospital

Grosvenor Road