What a disgraceful (slanderous/libel
Not in my lab it isn't!!!!!

What a disgraceful (slanderous/libellous) statement to make.

Pre-analytical factors may well be commonest overall cause but
thrombocytosis tops my list by miles.
I see at least one patient a week being treated with Ca gluconate,
Ins/Dex and salbutamol nebulisers in an attempt to lower a
pseudohyperkalaemia. When I phone to request a plasma (Li Hep) sample,
I've seen the K differ by 2.4mmol/L.
I have arranged with Haem to put an auto-comment on platelets above 700,
but I see this effect below that level. It depends on the increase from
the patient's basal platelet count.
The ones who really concern me are those with serum K of 3-3.5 with high
platelets who are actually hypokalaemic but we don't trap those K levels
on NPCL.

Regards
Gail

Dr Gail Curtis
Principal Biochemist
Dept of Chemical Pathology
Ysbyty Glan Clwyd
01745 445293

**Please consider the environment before printing -  Diolch yn fawr**