Were you trying coregistration on a resliced EPI image?  If so, then
this could cause the kinds of problems you report.  Try it on an
un-resliced one.  Other things that can improve coregistration accuracy
for some data are skull stripping and bias correction of the anatomical
scans.  Both can be achieved via segmentation and a little bit of
ImCalc.

Best regards,
-John

--