I agree with what Richard has said here most strongly....when curating the
material from Vindolanda, I have followed the American Museum style,
writing both context code and the unique catalog number on each and every
item.

The only exceptions to this have been the material we have been recovering
via sieving/flotation -- bones of tiny species of birds, mammals,
amphibians, and fish that it would just be physically impossible to write
on. I have put these specimens in glass or (in some cases) plastic vials.
Even the glass vials have plastic screw-on tops, so as Richard notes they
are perishable, but it's the best we can currently do.

Into the vial with the specimen goes a label written with a Sharpie
permanent marker on a little strip of Tyvek paper. This is dangerous
because if somebody comes to study the material and they break the lab
rule and have more than one vial open at one time, specimens could get put
back into the wrong vial and hence associated with the wrong number. To
guard against this, I do three things: (1) take index photographs of each
and every tiny specimen (we have a wonderful videophotomicroscope in the
lab which makes this job a snap); (2) get the catalog typed up and backed
up/cut to disk ASAP after assigning numbers to specimens; (3) forbid
anybody else to work with our microfauna (i.e. open the vials) until I've
got 'em published!!!!

(LOL) Dr. Deb