From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ruth Carden
Sent: 29 September 2009 01:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] labelling animal bones

Hi Erin,

I find indian ink the best, when written on a dry clean surface. Make sure to let it dry as it smudges until then. Indian ink is highly durable through time.

If it's greasy bone though....another tactic may have to be used. You could try wiping a small area with some acetone, let it dry, and then try to write with the ink. Although if highly greasy then this will not work or the ink will not 'take' too well to the actual bone. Smudging and running of the ink will occur.

I know some of the conservationists use a transparent layer painted onto surface first, let dry (has to be 'bone' (!) dry), then write with the indian ink, then when dry, paint another layer onto it. For the life of me, the name of this transparent layer eludes me at present, sorry.

Perhaps someone else can help. I prefer to write discrete label/number directly on to clean, dry, non-greasy bone myself.

All the best - Ruth