Hello,

I have domestic dog cranial remains from an early 17th C. English
colonial site and would like to know if anyone has information on
determining the breed of the dogs from measurements that can be
taken. I am aware that differentiating between historic breeds may
not be possible using only faunal remains, but I hoped someone might
know of a method. The documentary record refers to mastiffs being
present at the site, and also some native North American dogs. If
there were estimates for metric information, or any remains
identified to breed from 17th C England to compare to, it would be
very helpful.

Most of the pieces we have recovered are mandibles, and most of them
have been butchered just behind the canine tooth superoinferiorly,
sometimes having been cut all the way through. A few also exhibit cut
marks on the exterior surface of the ramus of the mandible. I would
be glad to hear any theories on the reason for this also.

Thanks