On 23 Sep 2009, at 10:25, Paul Boag wrote:

> I came across this article: http://www.macworld.co.uk/education/news/index.cfm?newsid=27231
>  that talks about how the University of Central Lancashire have
> produced an iPhone application for their freshers. I thought this was
> a superb idea and wondered if anybody else has looked into it.

There are quite a few similar  initiatives; apart from our work at
Oxford on the JISC project Erewhon (http://erewhon.oucs.ox.ac.uk/), I
know that Birmingham City University, Sheffield University and Bristol
University are in the starting gate. I suspect there are others. There
is a dedicated a commercial offering from http://www.ombiel.com/,
which I have not seen yet. Stanford have had one for a while.

> We are just about to build our first iPhone app and it actually
> doesn't look too complicated. Has anybody else tried and what was your
> experience like?

for what its worth, we opted for a web-based solution instead, ie a
mobile portal (also the approach taken by MIT). We really don't want
to lose the Blackberry and Windows Mobile users, let alone the
Androids. Nice as it is, the iPhone app approach is a bit
discriminatory; and there isn't _that_ much you can do there which you
can't also do with a web app.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

Sólo le pido a Dios