Malcolm may have an opinion at some point. So HISTORY headers end up in the FITS extension presumably unless it's a round-tripped file where the HISTORY was hidden away when the NDF was converted to FITS.

I was assuming that all the xxx2ndf routines should propagate history.

Tim

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM, David Berry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
2009/9/9 Tim Jenness <[log in to unmask]>:

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM, David Berry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/9/9 Tim Jenness <[log in to unmask]>:

>> > Presumably tweaking CONVERT is easy though?
>>
>> If the plan is to provide a global solution, is it a good idea to jump
>> the gun with hard-wired fixes to particular applications?
>>

> I was thinking that CONVERT should make a history component anyhow.
> Principal of least surprise. All the other starlink applications propogate
> history if history is present but CONVERT is special because it doesn't
> start with an NDF. So if there is any HISTORY at all in the input FITS file
> does the output NDF have a HISTORY component?

The fits2ndf prologue says:

*  Implementation Deficiencies:
*     - There is no propagation of arbitrary FITS HISTORY headers to
*     the NDF's history records.
*     - There is no support for FITS World Co-ordinate Systems.

First bullet answers your question. Second bullet seems a bit wrong...

I'll look into enabling default History creation in fits2ndf.

David