Dear all,

within single subjects, I want to compare effect sizes for different conditions and between time points, irrespective of the shape of the hrf (even negative responses and weird shapes are allowed), as this may be different between regions and change over time in the subjects I am studying. I have modelled the responses to the various conditions as FIR functions (10 time bins of 2 seconds) and main effects are easily calculated that way, with an F-test. However, statistical comparison between conditions is trickier, without assuming a specific shape or even time-to-peak of the responses. NB, I do not want to compare specific time bins to each other - all I want is to compare the effect sizes of the overall responses, irrespective of shape.

It seems to me I can subtract the spmF_000x.img files for 2 conditions, the resulting image giving me the difference in F-values (representing effect size) between these two conditions, for each voxel. However, I am not sure what height threshold to use on this difference-image. Should I use the height threshold, in terms of an F-value, that I obtain from performing a main-effect analysis for 1 of the conditions, with a specific correction for multiple comparisons, or is there another calculation that will tell me what height threshold to use if I want to report, for example, only voxels with a significantly different effect size at an FWE corrected alpha level of .05?

Any comments or advice is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Dirk

Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D.

Aphasia & Neurolinguistics Research Laboratory

Dept. of Communication Sciences & Disorders

Northwestern University

2240 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-3066

Phone: (office) 1-847-467-2515; (lab) 1-847-467-7591